It's all Greek to me

Γειά σου (pronounced "yah-soo") a.k.a. hi!  The day after arriving in Athens I was still feeling queasy, threw up my breakfast, and went back to bed until 13:00.  The original plan was to visit to the ancient site of Delphi but that was a two hour bus ride, one way.  Not exactly what I wanted to do while sick to my stomach & jetlagged.
After we walked uphill for 6 blocks, Mom and I discovered our restaurant of choice was closed.  Apparently it was a "bank holiday" in Greece.  In addition to the tavernas a.k.a. restaurants, many of the street kiosks -- which sell gum, snacks, drinks, cigarettes, newspapers, and postcards -- were closed too.  Ironically, there was a kiosk on every block in this city of three million people, but on the day I needed food none were open. 

We continued upward and eventually found a taverna that was open.  It had only two rows of tables outside on the severely slanting pavement.  Inside was the entire kitchen.  Still ill, Mom & I resigned to sharing a liter (once again, the metric system rears its logical head) of water.  We opened our menus and were confused by all the circles, triangles and odd shapes on the page.  Yet, I was able to decipher a few words since I once worked at a Greek-American restaurant.  In the end, Mom -- unsure of most items -- chose chicken souvlaki a.k.a. meat kebabs and I settled for grilled Metalo cheese with lemon.

While eating, Mom and I noticed plants everywhere.  Lining the block across the street were orange trees.  95% of the balconies had at least one potted plant, but the majority were overflowing with bushes and hanging flowers.  The main city sidewalks were also lined with trees and on a sidestreet off of Λεωφόρος Βασιλίσσης a.k.a.Vassilissis Sofias the walls of a bar were thick with green vines.
Mom and I received the bill and were a little surprised to see an additional €2 for the water.  That would not be our first European dining surprise. We paid, moseyed down towards the hotel, and found one other shop open along the journey.  If we struggled to understand Greek at the taverna, then we drowned at the bakery.  The two old ladies inside were friendly but spoke no English whatsoever.  We browsed the varieties of sweetened bread products looking for a familiar word on the signs or a recognizable fruit on a pastry that would help us figure out each item.  Mom asked if a cinnamon/sugar-looking bit tasted sweet?  The old lady looked at her blankly & Mom repeated "Sweet?" to which the old woman answered "Nay".  We felt a little hopeful that we found how to say "no" in Greek.  I bought the cookie anyway but my mom moved on to other pastries in search of a sweet dessert.

When we returned to the hotel, I ate the cinnamon/sugar cookie.  It was tasty and sweet.... why would the Greek baker lie to us?  I decided it was necessary to educate myself on common Greek phrases via a chapter in my Lonely Planet book.  The first translations were:
No = Ohi  (pronounced "oh-hee")
Yes = Nay

Comments

Popular Posts