Yin & yang

My time in the red centre was drawing to a close, but I still had a jam-packed day ahead of me.  There was only one trail that was left undone at Uluru/Kata Tjuta National Park: Warlpa Gorge at Kata Tjuta.  I was secretly relieved that it was a short trail since my ankles, feet & toes had not yet fully recovered from the past two grueling days of hiking.

Since it was late morning, the high rock walls blocked all of the intense sunlight.  As soon as I stepped into the shadows I was cold.  Furthermore, the rock sides became more and more narrow which created a vortex for the winter wind.  I watched as puddles from the previous night were disturbed; their surfaces turbulent instead of glass smooth.  I put my hood over my head and cinched it tight. 
In addition to the dim light and chilly temperature, I was the only person in the gorge.  It was silent except for the howling wind.  No birds chirped; no visitors spoke.  It was a bit haunting, yet peaceful.  I half sat/half leaned against a boulder & felt miles away from myself.  I picked up a chunk of rock that I assumed broke off one of the two walls towering over me.  I tried to remember that once -- around the dawn of time -- the Warlpa Gorge was not a gorge, but a single solid rock.  How long had it taken for the Warlpa Gorge to be one of the few formations that remained above ground in the desert now?  How much water, harsh sun & wind battered this once monolith until it was carved into what I looked at now?  To me, the red rock in my palm was equivalent to catching a glimpse of ancient life.  If rocks could talk, I would have loved to hear its timeless story.
I wanted to soak up my last hours in the desert.  When I had my fill, I meandered back to the hire car just as other visitors arrived.... "they will not have the place to themselves" I thought greedily.  I lingered around the area & ate a late lunch.  The sun began its descent from the sky and I had a prime spot to witness the legend of Uluru, Kata Tjuta & the other monoliths in the desert:  the transformation to fiery red caused by our brightest star's last rays.  Let me tell you, it was hardly legend.  It was all real.
 I was the second to last person to leave the Sunset Viewing Area.  Even still, I was forced to pull off to the side of the road & capture Kata Tjuta's beautiful, burning silohuette on the horizon.  My last picture in the desert. 

Comments

  1. How do you remember all this months after you have left. You must have a amazing memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be a writer Hollywood

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for not responding sooner -- I'm not used to getting comments ;)

    Christy, I wrote it down in a journal because my memory is terrible.

    Jaims, thanks! That means a lot coming from an English buff like you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts