A reason, a season or a lifetime

On the eve of Mom's trans-Pacific flight home, we returned to Circular Quay. We willfully decided to forgo a decadent $14 slice of cheesecake. Instead, Mom & I headed to the IMAX theatre. Since Harry Potter 6 was not yet released we bought tickets for "Under The Sea 3-D". Coincedentally the movie was filmed partly in The Great Barrier Reef! I was surprised to learn:

* Sea Snakes are very deadly.

* Turtles can actually eat Jellyfish, but close their eyes during this process.

* Great White Sharks sometimes hunt Stingrays out of desperation.

* there were only 2 types of Sea Dragons (Leafy & Weedy, which I saw at The Sydney Aquarium the day before!)
The time arrived to bid farewell to my partner in crime & perfect travel companion on my Australian adventure. Although 25 years old, my eyes still welled up at just the thought of goodbye. I sat alone in the domestic terminal and envisioned my Mom in the international mega-terminal. The quietness and loneliness felt palpable. I had spent two & a half months alone in Mackay. What unsettled me most during that time, was the realization that I was beginning to forget what my family and friends' voices sounded like. Now mid-July I would have to endure that nagging paranoia again.

A bit sad, my seat on the flight to Townsville was next to a guy in his mid-twenties from the States -- Connecticut to be exact. It turned out he was a teacher, like me, so we chatted about education, our personal lives, and adventures down under. He asked the stewardess "What candies [after a funny look from her].... er, confectionaries... do you have?" "Silly boy," I thought, "they're called 'lollies' here." The young guy affirmed that I was no longer a visitor or tourist in Oz. I was jolted by the fact that was truly living in a foreign country. In my uncomfortable airplane seat, in my miserable mood, I secretly relished in and replayed that moment.I arrived in balmy Townsville around midnight.  The guy from the flight never asked for my mobile a.k.a. cellular number or whether I'd like to discover the area with him. At first I found it irksome that we shared our quirky stories, pasts & itineraries, then immediately reverted back to total strangers when the wheels touched down. However, upon closer examination, I convinced myself not to over-analyze or take the gesture personally (which is atypical for me). We were world travelers whose lines happened to intersect in New South Wales and probably would never cross again.

On the flip side, there was my dear Mom whose path was so meshed with mine it was hard to tell where her line ended & mine began.


(The entirety of my titled excerpt:
"People come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime. When you figure out which one it is, you will know what to do for each person.
When someone is in your life for a REASON... It is usually to meet a need you have expressed. They have come to assist you through a difficulty, to provide you with guidance and support, to aid you physically, emotionally, or spiritually. They may seem like a Godsend, and they are! They are there for the reason you need them to be.Then, without any wrong doing on your part, or at an inconvenient time, this person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end. Sometimes they die. Sometimes they walk away. Sometimes they act up and force you to take a stand. What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled, their work is done. The prayer you sent up has been answered.

And now it is time to move on.When people come into your life for a SEASON...Because your turn has come to share, grow, or learn. They bring you an experience of peace, or make you laugh. They may teach you something you have never done. They usually give you an unbelievable amount of joy. Believe it! It is real! But, only for a season.

LIFETIME relationships teach you lifetime lessons; things you must build upon in order to have a solid emotional foundation. Your job is to accept the lesson, love the person, and put what you have learned to use in all other relationships and areas of your life.
")

Comments

Popular Posts