Frank

I saw my first kangaroo... it was dead on the side of the road. A four hour drive north to our soon-to-be-new home in Townsville let me enjoy the sights: vast countryside and roadkill. Highways in Australia are much different to those in the United States. First, when I hear the word "highways" I think multiple lanes -- or at least two per side -- with emergency lanes and a speed limit of at least 60 MPH. In Australia highways range between 60 and 100 KPH. I'm guessing the rough gravel area, large enough for a moped, to the left of the bitumen a.k.a. paved driving lane is the emergency stop area. Rarely are highways more than one lane per side, which makes passing a common but tense situation.

Second, when I think of States highways I think of BPs and Shells/Taco Bells and Burger Kings competing for your money at every exit. There are no numbered exits and usually one local "petrol" station, so stop when you're around a quarter tank. In the U.S.A., unless you're driving through rural landscape or Kansas, there's usually developments, plazas, or residences within eyesight of the highway. In Australia, when you leave the towns of Ayr, Sarina, and Proserpine, you are on a lonely highway with nothing unnatural to break up the view.

Last, most Americans are familiar with the cautionary signs in construction zones in cute, childish handwriting stating "Slow down, my daddy works here" or "Leave racin' to the horses" (in Kentucky). Australia cuts right to the point:

NO SEATBELT, NO CHANCE


SLOW DOWN STUPID


and my favorite....


TIRED DRIVERS DIE

Comments

  1. love the australia stories! and your beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANKS VERY MUCH ______________ ? I just added a photo to the Frank blog too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts