21 May 2015

Paradoxes

"What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?
Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?"
-- Langston Hughes


You cannot [easily] travel further from Ohio, United States of America, than this.  Bored at work one day in 2008 – before I ever considered moving overseas – I drilled my way through the center of the Earth via a random website & came out in the Indian Ocean, off the coast of Western Australia.   Australia’s largest state is 12 hours ahead of the U.S.A.’s Eastern Standard Time – the exact opposite.  Their sunrise is my sundown and vice-versa.

In 2009, when I unexpectedly moved from Queensland, Australia, I was still so enamored with the country that I vowed I would return before turning 30.  As many of you know, that promise to myself did not come to fruition... but that didn't mean I forgot the promise altogether. Now, pushing 32, I am orgulous to report that my dream was only deferred, never abandoned!  This year I will -- literally -- bisect the globe & return to the country that birthed this blog & my love for traveling solo.

Like my voyage to UluruI forfeited a lot to make this possible.  I have been forced to pass on trips to see friends in Chicago; I was supposed to embark on a climbing trip to Colorado as well.  I’ve worked 6 days a week (between 2 jobs) for the past two years which has decimated my social life.  At these two jobs I do not accrue sick time, holiday pay nor earn vacation days… but that’s also the beauty of my situation & has always been the master plan.

For when I return I will have to feign being a grown-up and revert to the American status quo: work to barely break even, sleep, pay off debt, deposit into my 401k, plan my one summer vacation with my two weeks PTO (paid time off), and so forth.

On one hand I will be passing FIFTY DAYS in Australasia with my best friend, Stephanie a.k.a. Mom!  On the other hand, I doubt I will ever have the freedom or funds to pull off a trip of such epic proportions again & that saddens me.

Over the course of 50 [!!!!!!] days, I plan to explore just two metropolises: Perth, WA and Sydney, NSW.  Also, I will reunite with that sweet character Mick -- who tugs at my heartstrings with every letter + postcard received -- and hopefully I can still kick his butt in the American basketball game I taught him, Around The World.  However, the majority of my time will be spent searching for all things aquatic…& a few, new marsupials!  Whenever I say my plans aloud or type them, I still cannot comprehend that this is my life: snorkeling with Whale Sharks -- the planet's largest fish; interacting & volunteering with a local pod of Bottlenose Dolphins; embarking on a Whale-Watching cruise for Humpbacks and perhaps elusive Orcas, Dugongs & Southern Rights; swimming with Manta Rays -- Earth's largest with a wingspan of 6 meters a.k.a. 20 feet; and boating to Moon Reef, where Fiji’s only permanent pod of Spinner Dolphins reside.

So please be patient with me as I try to readjust my sleep schedule, explain all my encounters, write new posts, catch up on bills & mourn the loss of unlimited vacation time.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Independence Day to you in Sydney from Atlanta, GA, USA. Congratulations on this epic 50 day adventure! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi dear! I have internet again and am just now reading your comment. Thanks for thinking of me XO

      Delete